expat housing rentals shanghai
    Give us a call: 021 5161 9783
Comprehensive After-Service - We are there for you 24/7 Tel: 021 5161 9783


Home >Visa

Regulations on Chinese Visa
The People's Republic of China follows the international system and issues visas according to its laws and regulations which may be modified from time to time.  The information provided here is about entry to the PRC mainland only: it does not include visa and entry rules for Hong Kong, Macau, or Taiwan.   In some limited situations visa are not required for entry into China, but most foreign travellers need one.  Generally, travellers requiring a visa must obtain it prior to travel, but there are a few exceptions.

Foreign travellers holding connecting tickets to pass through China are exempt from visa requirements provided they stay in the transit area of the airport for a no longer than 24 hours. 

Some visas can only be applied for outside China, some both, and one 'visa equivalent' – the temporary residence permit - can only be obtained inside China

The regulations for granting visas include a number of factors such as your nationality, whether you have family in China, and whether you were previously a Chinese citizen, and of course which type of visa you are applying for, as well as that, each issuing office has some discretion in how they implement the regulations.   This makes it impossible to explain here exactly what will happen, or to provide any certainties. However, these guidelines will be relevant to most situations. 

The regulations are not normally applied to their fullest extent but at any time the government may issue a directive to apply the regulations more rigorously against an individual, to applicants from certain nations, or when special events are taking place such as the Olympic Games.  Thus, at any time you might be asked to supply full travel bookings, show a minimum amount of funds, or have invitations from Chinese persons or organisations.

Visas can be issued for various durations; immediate or later start dates, and allow one, two (dual), or multiple entries.  Any exit from the mainland of the PRC, including to Hong Kong and Macau will require that you have a valid entry to the mainland to permit you to re-enter.  Otherwise you will need to apply for a new visa at a consulate (or equivalent in Hong Kong) before entry is permitted.

The Chinese visa is usually a paper sheet glued into your passport but it can occasionally be a rubber stamp.

Nationality Makes a Difference
Depending on the nationality of your passport, the rules vary.  Here, we try to provide some guidelines but as always, if you have any doubts contact the appropriate Chinese visa issuing office.

Like most countries, China applies has stricter regulations than it actually applies most of the time. It may be that nationals of some countries have been found to overstay more frequently than others, or have a higher incidence of crime, or be nations associated with terror, or simply ones where diplomatic relations are currently strained. It seems that at present, applicants from certain Asian countries are being required to get invitations and show adequate funds.  

For more information, you can visit http://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa.htm


Enquiry 房源委托
Choose Bedroom:
Monthly Rental Price (RMB):

Copyright 2006-2018 ©Townscape Housing. All rights reserved.

Rent apartment in Shanghai | French Concession apartments  | Rent house in Shanghai shanghai expats housing  | Rent offices in Shanghai | Apartments in Jing'An Temple | Xujiahui Area  | Rent traditional house in Shanghai  | Xintiandi apartments  | Zhongshan Park Area  | Apartments in People's Square  | Bundside Area | Hongqiao Apartments to rent  | Lakeville Apartments Xintiandi  | Shimao Riviera Garden  | Shimao Riviera Apartment  | Homepage  | Lakeville Casa Shanghai | Lakeville Regency Shanghai | Yanlord Garden Shanghai  | Shanghai Downtown Apartment 4 BR